Friday, February 4, 2011

Booze blues

In honour of the weekend, it’s time to talk about my favourite beverage - one that also happens to be rather expensive and completely inessential to proper nutrition.

If you’re a “one-drink with dinner” person like I am, you’re probably spending $60-70 a month, depending on your choice of libation. Currently, mine is beer. I’m allergic to wheat, so I drink a gluten-free variety called New Grist. It’s not bad stuff, but it is somewhat pricey; $12.40 for a six pack. That means every time I crack one open, I’m spending a little over $2. Yikes.

Is there a cheaper way to go? I'm discovering there are some lovely bottles of wine to be had for less than $8, which can get the cost per glass down under $2. Buying one's favourite wine in a 1.5 litre bottle would be all the more economical. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to find a wine I love that’s sold in a larger size. (Suggestions are welcome!). Note: I'm currently taste-testing budget wines and will detail this *very taxing* research in an upcoming post.

Getting back to the price-per-drink conundrum, it looks like a reasonably-priced 40 ounce bottle of hard alcohol (gin, vodka, rum) is probably the most cost-efficient way to go, especially if you like your booze straight up, or mixed with a bit of soda or tonic water. (I'm assuming of course that you make your own ice.) While I do like a nice gin and soda on my patio in the summer, it’s not really the kind of thing I want to drink with my dinner after a long day at work.

Brewing or bottling your own is probably the cheapest way to go; I haven’t seriously looked into this yet, but it’s on my list of to-dos. I’d be interested to know if anyone out there has had success with home brews and if the time involved was worth it.

The most obvious solution is to simply stop drinking - or cut back. Hmm. I could *think* about it. Grist for the mill...

No comments:

Post a Comment